I have to run 18 miles on Sunday. Here are my
– I will be doing this long run mostly solo, but I think my friend from high school (in California), who also lives up here now, is going to meet me for at least the last 3, maybe 4, miles. I haven’t seen her since probably 1995 (the year we graduated). If I meet up with her at Mile 14 — wow — she’s going to be seeing me at my absolute BEST. Yikes. We still need to work out the details of where I’m running and what time she should meet me, etc.
– I’m not sure what I’m going to wear yet. It’s supposed to be 60 and partly sunny, but I think I’m going to start early in the morning so it could be cooler. I do know that I will definitely wear sunscreen this time.
– I still do not have enough water pods for my Amphipod belt. Me and T Junior will be making a trip to REI today to purchase two more (for a total of four) pods, along with some GU. Last night, after my treadmill run, I stopped at the QFC to get money for the babysitter (long story I will write about later), and saw that they had gels there! But no GU. I got some Clif Shots and a Power Gel (I think that’s what I got), but I don’t want to try them on 18 miles.
– I spent a couple hours creating a new playlist the other day. The first quarter is my usual party-girl music (Ke$ha, Rihanna, etc.), but I wanted to add some music that would spark memories for me so that I can think about something else besides how bad my feet hurt. So, I’ve got quite an eclectic mix: lots of Tom Petty (Running Down a Dream — how perfect is that?), some Sheryl Crow (love Steve McQueen), and even ABBA (hoping I’ll just want to sing along and distract my brain). At the end is my Legally Blonde-The Musical soundtrack, but not all the songs, just the fast ones. Those really work to keep my mind off things. Hopefully, by then, I will be running with my friend, though, so I’m not really planning on listening to this part of the list. Anyway, I hope all the songs work out.
– Last night, on my 9-miler (that turned out to be 9.5 miles because I’m horrible at math), my foot really ached. That darn neuroma. I think I’m going to make a Pod appointment for next week, if I can, and get a cortisone shot. I’m just hoping that the asphalt will be kind to my foot on Sunday.
– I’m going to focus on keeping my pace between 11 and 11:30, but if I am in too much pain and have to go even slower, I will. Slow and steady
wins finishes the race. Right?